View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Nobel Peace Prize? 

Post Nobel Peace Prize?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091009/ap_ ... analysis_1

"For one of America's youngest presidents, in office less than nine months — and only for 12 days before the Nobel nomination deadline last February — it was an enormous honor."

What was it that got him the win? Did I miss the "Obama: The First 12 Days" TV news special?

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:38 am

Post Re: Nobel Peace Prize?
http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/polit ... _no_d.html

"But President Barack Obama will not get [an honorary degree] this evening when he addresses the graduates of Arizona State University. The school... said Obama had not accrued a "body of work'' sufficient for the honor."

Standards.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:32 am

Agreed! He hasn't done anything, that noteworthy as of yet.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:04 am
Profile WWW

Carter... Gore... Obama...

Do you think Bill Clinton is having a "what about me?" morning?

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:23 am

veinsplasher wrote:
Carter... Gore... Obama...

Do you think Bill Clinton is having a "what about me?" morning?

He'll probably get one.

The Nobel Peace prize is occasionally used to give impetus to causes and people. I think that's what this one is.

They could have waited at least a year. It would be nice to see him actually *do* something. Starting and finishing are not the same thing.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:32 am

:lol: The whole world thinks our President is a Joke!

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:37 am

2fisted wrote:

this comment is little late, isn't it?

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:45 am
Profile YIM WWW

thosquanta wrote:
2fisted wrote:

this comment is little late, isn't it?

One president too late to be exact.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:48 am

Breaking news! Obama has just won an Oscar for his incredible acting work in "Forest Gump II"!

Ummm... uhhh... uh... ...I bowled a 129. It's like ummm uh uh.. Special Olympics, or something. uh Spread the wealth!... :P

tbh, does the "Peace Prize" realy mean anything anymore?

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:41 pm

2fisted wrote:

Are you not paying fucking attention? Did you even bother to read the subject line of this post. The rest of the world loves Obama and anything he does. He's considered to have changed the tone of international relations.

I've been waiting for him to take a drastic action for quite a while. Aside from taking a few minor floodgate measures, he hasn't done that much. Can you please tell me when the wealth spreading is going to start?

Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:35 pm
Profile WWW

skywayman wrote:
The Nobel Peace prize is occasionally used to give impetus to causes and people. I think that's what this one is.

Has that ever actually worked?

Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:03 pm

JPaganel wrote:

it worked as well as Nobel's invention to prevent war did, at any rate.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW

thosquanta wrote:
JPaganel wrote:

it worked as well as Nobel's invention to prevent war did, at any rate.

Nice.

~€~

~€ᵀᴴᴲᴿ~

commercial graphic artist, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist

BACK ALLEY: https://www.facebook.com/backalleysocial
CRUSH COLLECTIVE: http://www.facebook.com/crushmydesign

Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:23 pm
Profile WWW

I was wondering when the dynamite was going to start flying ;)

Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:04 pm
Profile WWW

Liighter wrote:
The rest of the world loves Obama and anything he does. He's considered to have changed the tone of international relations.

Sarcasim? If he did changed the tone it's due to the fact that word is out that America is weak & the guy in charge is a push over.
The "world" loves that! :lol:

Quote:
Can you please tell me when the wealth spreading is going to start?

His trillion $ stimulus plan is working wonders & spreading wealth.... into his union cronies pockets.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:32 pm

[quote=]"2fisted Sarcasim? If he did changed the tone it's due to the fact that word is out that America is weak & the guy in charge is a push over.
The "world" loves that! :lol: .[/quote]

The weakest person (or country) is one that cannot admit or address their own faults
Obama seemed just as surprised to recieve it as well
I guess he got it because there is no Nobel "Not as bad as your predecessor" prize
Funny how Dubya was so pathetic as a president that the next guy looks like a saint without even accomplishing much
You people (and I mean that as a gross generalization since conservatives voluntarily lump themselves into the same mold in order to succeed) have huge blinding problem
You hate Obama more than you love America
It borders on mental illness
One of the signs of mental illness is that you cannot address your own faults, even when it causes irreprible damage to those around you
You flagrant disregard for any opinion, weather it be within or without the borders of the USA, shows how blinded by hatred for anything but your own ideaology conservative fanatics have become in this country

Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:02 pm
Profile WWW

The Nobel Peace Prize has never meant much as it's simply an award given to people the panel feels represents something positive. It's less than a Daytime Emmy as far as overall weight is concerned. The Panel obviously felt that the bullying which comes from Conservative viewpoints has had a profoundly negative impact on the world (which would be correct) and now that there's a world leader, particularly one that happens to be leading the world's strongest nation, with a more positive, proactive viewpoint who doesn't think stomping the shit out of everyone indiscriminately and forcing its worldview on other countries is the right way to go, they felt it merited their award if only to put some emphasis on the positive new direction.

Y'know, when Ministry won a Grammy Uncle Al accepted the award graciously. I believe he said something to the effect of, "While it's nice to be recognized for what you do it's sort of like getting a big wet kiss from your shriveled, old Great Aunt. The sentiment is there but,..Ewww."

Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:55 pm

devil wrote:
The Nobel Peace Prize has never meant much as it's simply an award given to people the panel feels represents something positive. It's less than a Daytime Emmy as far as overall weight is concerned. The Panel obviously felt that the bullying which comes from Conservative viewpoints has had a profoundly negative impact on the world (which would be correct) and now that there's a world leader, particularly one that happens to be leading the world's strongest nation, with a more positive, proactive viewpoint who doesn't think stomping the shit out of everyone indiscriminately and forcing its worldview on other countries is the right way to go, they felt it merited their award if only to put some emphasis on the positive new direction.
In other words, he got it for being somebody other than Bush. Hey, I'm not Bush either - can I get one too? I promise to do good stuff, like not kicking puppies and not peeing on the toilet seat.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:25 am

It strikes me as premature at best. I can't say I take Nobel seriously either at this point, We simply don't know what the end results of Obama's foreign policies will be. I have misgivings in too many areas to be cheering this on in 2009. He's a nice guy but .... We'll see.

JN

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:44 am

JPaganel wrote:
Hey, I'm not Bush either - can I get one too? I promise to do good stuff, like not kicking puppies and not peeing on the toilet seat.

Or not starting an unecessary war based on intelligence manipulated to fit your intentions causing the death of thousands of our own people, not tomention hundreds of thousands of innocent humans (not 'merican)
Oh yeah
Let's not forget trashing our already shaky standing with the other countries on this planet thus creating thousands more to take the place of the thousands we already have to deal with

But
yeah
Too soon

Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:44 pm
Profile WWW

JPaganel wrote:
In other words, he got it for being somebody other than Bush. Hey, I'm not Bush either - can I get one too? I promise to do good stuff, like not kicking puppies and not peeing on the toilet seat.

This is why the Conservatives always lose. They try to dumb down something to the point where they just look dumb for saying it and no salient point is made.

He got it because he gets it. The philosophy that diplomacy is for the "weak" and strong arms with swift blows got us nowhere except derided by the rest of the world and with a weakened military with many of our brave men and women soldiers dead. This ain't about Bush so much as the whole bully style of thinking that undermines Conservative "thought" (and I use that term loosely. The panel recognized that Obama was making an enormous, dramatic shift away from the strong-arm tactics of the recent past and toward a more thoughtful and engaging path that is considerably less hostile and more proactive. There's too much of "We're going to force our will on those who disagree with us or whomever we don't like" and not enough understanding of what brings so much raw emotion and violence to the differences. I don't think this is an award for Obama so much as an award for someone who stood up and with a loud, determined voice said, "I'm going to lead but it isn't going to be leadership by way of forcing my beliefs down your throat by any means necessary." And the reason why so many the world over appreciate Obama is because he represents a repudiation of neanderthal brute force strategies that have yet to take us anywhere as a race (referring to the human race).

Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:32 pm

I'm just happy that it's making the extreme righties squirm and helping to show the world how bitter, and anti-American the bigmouths really are.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:34 pm

devil wrote:
JPaganel wrote:

This is why the Conservatives always lose. They try to dumb down something to the point where they just look dumb for saying it and no salient point is made.

He got it because he gets it. The philosophy that diplomacy is for the "weak" and strong arms with swift blows got us nowhere except derided by the rest of the world and with a weakened military with many of our brave men and women soldiers dead. This ain't about Bush so much as the whole bully style of thinking that undermines Conservative "thought" (and I use that term loosely. The panel recognized that Obama was making an enormous, dramatic shift away from the strong-arm tactics of the recent past and toward a more thoughtful and engaging path that is considerably less hostile and more proactive. There's too much of "We're going to force our will on those who disagree with us or whomever we don't like" and not enough understanding of what brings so much raw emotion and violence to the differences. I don't think this is an award for Obama so much as an award for someone who stood up and with a loud, determined voice said, "I'm going to lead but it isn't going to be leadership by way of forcing my beliefs down your throat by any means necessary." And the reason why so many the world over appreciate Obama is because he represents a repudiation of neanderthal brute force strategies that have yet to take us anywhere as a race (referring to the human race).

devil, i understand what your saying and you make a good argument and points that i hadn't really considered, but i still go back to the other day when my wife told me this and my reaction was "why, what the hell for?". i still feel that incredulity even now.
i even agree with most of what your saying and have a hard time swallowing this. as Rockula! mentions, anyone following Dubya who even attempts dialogue is going to look like a saint, but still...did he really warrant it?
though i pretty much disagree with most of what is posted by veinsplasher, he makes a good point in his opening comment. Obama was nominated just 12 days into office. while your points help justify the decision some, it still seems like a farce.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:18 pm

Actually, I'm not justifying the decision. I was merely trying to provide an explanation as to this might have happened. Personally I felt the award should go to the Iranian people for standing up to their corrupt power structure even in the face of torture and death. That was as fine an example for the rest of humanity as anything (particularly Iraq and Afghanistan). Obama shouldn't have received the award. But it isn't as though he can throw it back in their faces at this point.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:34 pm

This discussion made me actually look up the other folk, which have been given the award. It's a fairly interesting list, even more interesting is the fact that the prize was not given during WWI and WWII.

And if you want a brief, and not too "heady" (it's the internet, I realize it's a pain in the ass to think while using it) article, check the "nobel prize controversies" article on wikipedia.

That aside, I really wish people would stop saying "nobel prize in economics," as there's no such thing.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:20 pm
Profile WWW

seasonfire wrote:
Obama was nominated just 12 days into office. while your points help justify the decision some, it still seems like a farce.

If you look up the criteria for giving the awards -- they're really oblique and kind of funny (especially the one for literature) -- the fact that he was given the award makes a lot of sense. As it seems the main criteria for giving the award is running a global PR campaign for promoting "peace" in the preceding year of being given the award (see -- Obama presidential campaign).

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:26 pm
Profile WWW

Very good point Liighter, that’s why I said the world, now thinks our president is a joke. Conservative talking heads are not angry about Obama winning the peace prize, they are laughing at the Nobel Committee showering their hero with flattery. It just proves even more how the Peace Prize" is a "political lefty Prize". Carter, Gore now Obama just 12 days in office. If they actually wanted to give an award to peace they would give one to the nuclear bomb, that’s prolly kept war to a minimum more than anything. Mby Brittny Spears, she believes in world peace too!

The Iranian Protesters should have won it, that makes more sense. Not the leader of the free world who stood by and said nothing as the protesters got crushed & now hanged. In fact, Obama has been quite willing to sell out human rights in Honduras, Iran, Venezuela, Tibet and elsewhere.
No hate for Obama here, but his desire to be "loved by the world" scares me. When will he represent Americans and our exceptional way of life?
Oh yea, never mind. :lol:

Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:08 am

devil wrote:
But it isn't as though he can throw it back in their faces at this point.

Why couldn't he have? He almost confessed that it wasn't right.

I guess when the flock believes in the Messiah he felt that he should just play the part!

Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:22 am

Obama fails to win Nobel prize in economics

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- In a decision as shocking as Friday's surprise peace prize win, President Obama failed to win the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences Monday.

While few observers think Obama has done anything for world peace in the nearly nine months he's been in office, the same clearly can't be said for economics.

The president has worked tirelessly since even before his inauguration to wrest control of the U.S. economy from failed free markets, and the evil CEOs who profit from them, and to turn it over to wise, fair and benevolent bureaucrats.

From his $787 billion stimulus package, to the cap-and-trade bill, to the seizures of General Motors and Chrysler, to the undead health-care "reform" act, Obama has dominated the U.S., and therefore the global, economy as few figures have in recent years.

Yet the Nobel panel chose instead to award the prize to two obscure academics -- Elinor Ostrom and Oliver Williamson -- one noted for her work on managing collective resources, and the other for his work on transaction costs. See full story on the Nobel winners.

Other surprise losers include celebrity noneconomist and filmmaker Michael Moore; U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner; and Larry Summers, head of the U.S. national economic council.

It is unclear whether the president will now refuse his peace prize in protest against the obvious slight to his real achievements this year.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/obama- ... 2009-10-12

Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:07 am

Like I said, the list of laureates is very strange as many of them are considered notable leaders during wartime (Roosevelt, Kissinger, Sadat). Though last I checked, the military budget actually grew (though to be honest, I'm a bit confused about that, as it could just be supplementals being added to the budget).

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:02 pm
Profile WWW

I couldn't care less about this "award" but it is certainly entertaining watching the Conservatives get all butthurt about it. I think I could get used to living in a world where the Cons are constantly throwing tantrums about not getting their way.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:07 pm

so the other nobel prizes were pretty cool - fiber optics for physics, a lot of cool biochem stuff in med and chem.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW

devil wrote:
I couldn't care less about this "award" but it is certainly entertaining watching the Conservatives get all butthurt about it. I think I could get used to living in a world where the Cons are constantly throwing tantrums about not getting their way.

Hey! If they don't like living in America, they can always move somewhere else.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:47 pm
Profile WWW

2fisted wrote:
If they actually wanted to give an award to peace they would give one to the nuclear bomb, that’s prolly kept war to a minimum more than anything.

That remark is so silly I don't even know what to say.

~€ther~

~€ᵀᴴᴲᴿ~

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:22 pm
Profile WWW

Ether wrote:
2fisted wrote:
If they actually wanted to give an award to peace they would give one to the nuclear bomb, that’s prolly kept war to a minimum more than anything.

That remark is so silly I don't even know what to say.

~€ther~

I realize intuitively it sounds like a silly point. But my father actually wrote his dissertation (back in the 70s) on the effect of nuclear submarines on international relations. It's not that profound of a point, but nuclear bombs created a rather peaceful climate in the US and former Soviet Union.

Mao had the most interesting response to the bomb. First he said, that if the US dropped the bomb on China, it wouldn't even wipe out half the population. But his more interesting claim, comes when he says that even if the US were to blow China off the face of the map, it's no big deal as it's just a minor event in the history of the universe.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:10 am
Profile WWW

I can see Fisty's point......up to a point
Mutually assured destruction kept the peace for a while AND the arms race pretty much bankrupted the Soviets but now we are seeing the after-affects
It seems now that there is more of a chance of a nuclear attack than during the cold war what with all of the stray nuclear goodies floating around just waiting for someone to use
Also, we are seeing the affects of our strong-arm attitudes in the simmering resentment towards the US

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:36 pm
Profile WWW

post hoc ergo propter hoc. fun times.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW

To call the United States peaceful is being too generous. We are a warlike nation and we average a war or millitary conflict every 5 years. We leverage our military strength constantly and I don't think this country has the slightest idea what peace really means. If they did, I'm certain they would have no clue how to go about acheiving it.

~€~

~€ᵀᴴᴲᴿ~

Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:37 pm
Profile WWW

2fisted wrote:

except that whole Cold War thing...

reminds me of the Simpsons where Burns gives the Employee of the Week (or Month, I don't recall specifically) to an inanimate carbon rod instead of Homer.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:47 pm

Great post timing! 35,000 more troops (blood thirsty Marines!) otw to Afganistan/Pakistan.
Looks like that "smart power" approach is working as planned?
Speach prediction: "this is an exit strategy not a victory strategy"

Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:51 am

9-11... bla bla... SURGE! CHARRRRRGGE into the mountains of Afganistan! LBJ 2010! :lol:

I swear Obama just stole a speach from W. Good lord, could George W Bush be vindicated any more? Or... me for that matter! (except the time line part)

Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:41 pm

Rockula! wrote:
Let's not forget trashing our already shaky standing with the other countries on this planet thus creating thousands more to take the place of the thousands we already have to deal with

You are so incorrect I can't even believe what you are writing. I've never seen someone I know personally (and respect) be so completely off-base on an issue. Allow me to bring you back down to earth here...

America is not responsible for "creating" terrorists. Terrorists are brainwashed murderous religious extremists that hate us regardless of what we do. They hated (and attacked!) us long before Bush and they will hate us long after him. To put the blame on America for what a tiny faction of wackos do is not only unamerican, it's incorrect.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing people make excuses for terrorists. People spout this crap under the guise of understanding, but really they are merely trying to find flaws in the efforts of the United States which, more often than not, are just and well-intentioned at their core. No country fights opression and tyranny more than the US. No country gives more aid to the needy than the US. No country consistantly fights on the side of liberty and freedom more than the US. We're not perfect, but so far we are about the best this planet has had to offer.

~€~

~€ᵀᴴᴲᴿ~

Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:15 pm
Profile WWW

You may know me very well but you obviously have taken this stament from the wrong perspective
Your assuming that I think terrorism just started happening during the Bush years
Yes, it has been around for quite a while (just watch any action film from the 90's involving a plane)

My point is that heavy handed responses rarely work with terrorists and for every one of them you kill, there's a couple innocents that die or get maimed
THAT is what I mean by "creating more" terrorists
That tiny faction of wackos very easily influences the friends and families of those innocent victims to starp a bomb on themselves to get revenge
I have no sympathy for terrorists or pirates
That is, until i put myself in their place and wonder what I would do to survive
Do I feel sorry for terrorists/pirates when they die?
No
But the biggest mistake that we make with terrorism is to turn a blind eye to the reasons why a tiny faction of extremists can multiply at an exponential rate

I am surprised you can't see past your emotions and take the more logical approach
This time it isn't me that you make an ass of when you assume

Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:30 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
the efforts of the United States which, more often than not, are just and well-intentioned at their core.

Oh, please. :roll:

Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:04 pm

Ether wrote:
Rockula! wrote:

I'm so sick and tired of hearing people make excuses for terrorists. People spout this crap under the guise of understanding, but really they are merely trying to find flaws in the efforts of the United States which, more often than not, are just and well-intentioned at their core. No country fights opression and tyranny more than the US. No country gives more aid to the needy than the US. No country consistantly fights on the side of liberty and freedom more than the US. We're not perfect, but so far we are about the best this planet has had to offer.

~€~

Cosigned dude! We need to adopt Iseali like tactics to fight terrorism imo. There is a reason why we are in Afganistan, but to try to Democro-fy the place might be a mistake.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:08 pm

Go wave your Chinese-made flags elsewhere, armchair "patrtiots". :lol:

Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:13 pm

2fisted wrote:
Cosigned dude! We need to adopt Iseali like tactics to fight terrorism imo. There is a reason why we are in Afganistan, but to try to Democro-fy the place might be a mistake.

Yeah, that has been working like a charm
And we're not spreading democracy, we're creating business opportunitites

Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:40 pm
Profile WWW

zom-zom wrote:
Go wave your Chinese-made flags elsewhere, armchair "patrtiots". :lol:

It's funny, every time I wave my Bachmann signed American Flag I looks like one of your Democrat D.C. radical buddies are jumping ship! :lol:

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2010/ja ... _headlines

Syonara Dodd... ya crook!

Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:46 pm

Rockula! wrote:
2fisted wrote:

Yeah, that has been working like a charm
You think being nice to them will work better? Or do you have some other way in mind?

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:58 am

Why are Conservatives so into black and white thinking? We either have to bomb them back to the stone age or "be nice to them." For all the talk I hear about Conservatives being "great thinkers" I have yet to see a satisfactory example.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:10 am

that national parks thing was cool...

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:47 am
Profile YIM WWW

JPaganel wrote:
You think being nice to them will work better? Or do you have some other way in mind?[/quote]

I went back and re-read my statement and couldn't find the part where I said "Be nice to them"
Can you?
Maybe it's because you are assuming too

As a matter of fact, I DON'T have a solution but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that you don't stop bees stinging you by punching the beehive, repeating actions that only inflame the situation thus multiplying the amount of angry bees
Maybe we should try not inserting out claws into every country where we can get away with it

It's pretty sad when you point out obvious truths to people but all you get is attempts to discredit your position by assumptions and misdirection

Don't believe what I believe?
Then you must be some liberal pussy

There may never be a solution to this problem
So
Maybe we should figure out how we create these problems and stop doing it
How fucking simple is that?
We're so arrogantly stuck on this idea of America being the best country in the world that we have become blind to the reasons why "they" hate "us"

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:07 pm
Profile WWW

devil wrote:
Why are Conservatives so into black and white thinking? We either have to bomb them back to the stone age or "be nice to them."

That sounds rather black & white to me.

Conservatives are guided by principals, not "feelings". So life in general is not as "grey"... or is that "gray"??!! :)

We see evidence of squishy greyisms with Obama botching our home land security in recent attacks (Fort Hood, Panty bomber, & a few others).
His "reaching out" to the Islamic radicals and at the same time trashing our military forces (and courts) has basicly encouraged terrorist attacks on us.
Mushy world leader that just wants to be loved.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:26 pm

wow.

good thing we had bush's black and white approach to keep us SAFE from turrur.

9/11 was under clinton, right?

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW

The consequences of this country's actions on behalf of the Bush administration are far more inflammatory than what's been done over the past 11 1/2 months. Not that there's anything that we could do to make the radical extremists tolerant, but yeah being greedy imperialist jerks ain't gonna help. Conservatives have no credibility left. None.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:44 pm

thosquanta wrote:
wow.

good thing we had bush's black and white approach to keep us SAFE from turrur.?

yes, 8.5 solid years of keeping Alqueda on their heels.
I do agree the War on Terror should have been modified the day after the USS Cole attack. But Clinton stuck with police action policies.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:50 pm

devil wrote:
Why are Conservatives so into black and white thinking? We either have to bomb them back to the stone age or "be nice to them." For all the talk I hear about Conservatives being "great thinkers" I have yet to see a satisfactory example.
You talking about me? Whatever makes you think I am A "Conservative", whatever that is?

Rockula! wrote:
I went back and re-read my statement and couldn't find the part where I said "Be nice to them"
Can you?
Maybe it's because you are assuming too
Talk about assumptions...

I asked you whether this was a solution you had in mind. I didn't say it was and I didn't say it or you were wrong. A question and a statement are not the same thing.

Rockula! wrote:
As a matter of fact, I DON'T have a solution but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that you don't stop bees stinging you by punching the beehive, repeating actions that only inflame the situation thus multiplying the amount of angry bees
Maybe we should try not inserting out claws into every country where we can get away with it
That only works if you believe we are the reason for everything. Things are a little more complex than that.

Rockula! wrote:
It's pretty sad when you point out obvious truths to people but all you get is attempts to discredit your position by assumptions and misdirection
And an "obvious truth" is not an assumption on your part?

Rockula! wrote:
Don't believe what I believe?
Then you must be some liberal pussy
Works both ways. If I don't agree with you I must be a conservative moron. See Devil's post above for a nice example.

Rockula! wrote:
There may never be a solution to this problem
So
Maybe we should figure out how we create these problems and stop doing it
How fucking simple is that?
You wanna try reading that? In the same statement you say that there is no solution and that there is a simple one. How can it be both?

Rockula! wrote:
We're so arrogantly stuck on this idea of America being the best country in the world that we have become blind to the reasons why "they" hate "us"
Hoo boy. Talk about black and white thinking... Has it occurred to you that maybe there are other reasons fro what is going on besides "we suck" and "they hate democracy"?

It's fascinating. One side has this idea that anti-americanism is the consequence of how much US sucks, the other thinks it's because of how much US rocks. Both are really the same idea - US is the most important thing in the universe. Hilarious.

claymation wrote:
The consequences of this country's actions on behalf of the Bush administration are far more inflammatory than what's been done over the past 11 1/2 months. Not that there's anything that we could do to make the radical extremists tolerant, but yeah being greedy imperialist jerks ain't gonna help. Conservatives have no credibility left. None.
The Bush administration really wasn't that spectacular in what it did. Most of it was continuation of decades-old crap. Current administration is really not that much different.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:56 pm

2fisted wrote:
thosquanta wrote:
wow.

good thing we had bush's black and white approach to keep us SAFE from turrur.?

yes, 8.5 solid years of keeping Alqueda on their heels.
I do agree the War on Terror should have been modified the day after the USS Cole attack. But Clinton stuck with police action policies.

you are, naturally, ignoring the whole world trade center thing...and apparently "on their heels" means increasing numbers in afghanistan, iraq, iran, syria and, NEW TO THE PARTY! yemen. "alqueda" was significantly LARGER at the end o bush's term. you have a strange definition of "on their heels"

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I will simply say that Team Obama has been severly stung by the rash of terrorist hits this past month, & Dick Cheney drove home the truth like a wood stake in this administration.
1 more attack with pictures of dead American civilians & this country will take Obamas "open hands" approach to terrorism & shove it up his bass.

Man caused disaster.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:47 pm

2fisted wrote:
& Dick Cheney drove home the truth like a wood stake in this administration.
"wood stake"?? Wouldn't "shotgun blast to the head" be a more apropos simile?

Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next