View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Old Meat Resurrected = Zombie? 

Post Old Meat Resurrected = Zombie?
Hey all, my husband and I will be traveling from Reno and staying in Mpls the 18th through the 21st of Dec and I am wondering what is around nowadays for dancing, dining, drinking, etc. I used to live in Mpls up until about 2000 and haven't visited since around 2005. I poked around here a bit and it seems that Hard Mondays and Ground Zero are still about the only dancing options available? We're also looking for veg-friendly carnivorous compatible restaurant recommendations and some decent bars to check out(our preference is generally towards establishments with extensive beer menus). Please let me know what your favorite hangouts are....if Mpls can sufficiently "impress" my hubby, I may have a chance at getting the heck out of Nevada permanently! Thanks, guys!

~Jennifer

Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:44 am

Post Re: Old Meat Resurrected = Zombie?
hi Jennifer it's Melissa-welcome!

i'll have to come out and see you guys if you go to gz or something. i'm sure someone else will offer up a few more suggestions on nightlife but here are just a few bars that pop into my head

psycho suzis is fun if you want to go to a theme bar
http://psychosuzis.com/index.html

triple rock has food [veggie/vegan too]-booths fill up quick on busy nights though
http://www.triplerocksocialclub.com

busters on 28th is more layed back but there is an awesome beer selection
http://www.busterson28th.com

the cc club is kind of the stand by place to go if you can't think of anywhere else to go. it's good for beer.
2600 and Lyndale/Mpls

Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:23 pm

If a place doesn't carry Surly beer, don't bother. If you don't have Surly while you're here it's a wasted trip. Surly alone will convince anyone to move here.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:11 pm

Thanks for the info, Melissa! We're for sure going to GZ on the 18th. I'll get a hold of you before we get into town.

This Surly sounds intriguing. We're already huge fans of 'Sconi's New Glarus and miss it dearly. If I can get the husband attached to another craft brew that can only be acquired in the midwest it will be another bargaining chip for me!

Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Surly is awful! It's made purely for hipsters that think the more bitter the beer, the more sophisticated they appear.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:06 pm

hipsters are the ones drinking PBR ironically (and are made fun of by my dad, for good reason).

the people drinking surly are beer drinkers.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Hah, yeah, PBR is definitely the current hipster drink of choice. There's certainly nothing wrong with PBR in my book though as I tend to like my beers on the lighter, fruitier end of the spectrum. I generally drink weiss beers, ciders, lambics, cheap canned beers, etc....the husband goes for the hoppier, darker end of the spectrum so I'm sure he'll dig the Surly.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:42 pm

Yeah, I agree about the PBR/hipster connection, but I've served enough brew to notice that many clueless individuals seem think that the hoppier their beer, the more obscure and "deep" they seem to think they are.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:25 pm

as far as dancing on the days you'll be here, GZ on Sat. and HM on Mon. are probably the dancing nights you'd be interested in. We also have a Thursday night [and Fourth Friday?] thing which isn't helpful to you for this visit called Chamber which I've only been to once since all I do is work:
http://www.chambermpls.com/

*on saturday there is a "disco, house, electro, techno, post-punk, new wave, remixes" night at first ave called too much love. i think it might be aimed more at the PBR crowd :wink: but seems fun.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:47 pm

claymation wrote:
Surly is awful! It's made purely for hipsters that think the more bitter the beer, the more sophisticated they appear.

I do agree with your sentiment regarding hoppy beers. Horrible trend in American microbrews.. if there was a term like "foodie" for beer-snobs then that's who likes that foul, bitter thick syrupy swill. Maybe we should call them Hoppies.

European and British Isle beers aren't nearly as over-the-top with hops. They know how to brew more subtle flavours.

Just like lots of American crap.. more is better is the mantra.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:48 pm

india pale ale. not british. you heard it from zom!

sheesh, it lost my edit earlier.

Last edited by thosquanta on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Ya-ta-hey?

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]