www.darktwincities.com
https://www.darktwincities.com/forum/

Just moved to Minneapolis
https://www.darktwincities.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6374
Page 1 of 1

Author:  cyberaktif [ Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Just moved to Minneapolis

Well I just got here from Fayetteville, AR. Yeah I know boring. But I did live in Chicago for 4 years. I am a 27 year old guy and I work in technology. I am looking to get into the scene here. Or at least meet some people with similar interests.

I am a big Skinny Puppy, Wumpscut, CombiChrist, Grendel, and FLA fan just to give you a hint at the music I am into.

I used to hang out at Neo and Exit in Chicago pretty regularly.

Currently I live in uptown but in all honsty I don't see many people to relate to. Of course I could just be looking in the wrong place.

So in short, any new friends or advice would be appreciated.

Author:  thosquanta [ Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

welcome!

we're getting quite the influx lately. very cool.

check around here, there are obviously a ton of club nights (tonight is...chamber?) and local bands (us being the best, obviously)

Author:  skywayman [ Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

I think I write this stuff so much, we should devote a section of the site to finding your way around.

Lets start with clubbing:

Keep your eyes on the Event Horizon forum and follow DTC on twitter http://twitter.com/darktwincities for event announcements as we get them.

Monday: Hard Mondays at the Saloon (9th and Hennepin)
Harder Mondays 2nd Monday of the month (harder, crunchier stuff)
10pm, 18+, no cover

Wednesday: Transmission at Clubhouse Jaeger
1/2 hipster, more trendy, music varies by DJ, always fun.

Thusday: Chamber at Bolt Underground on Washington
18+, 9pm, no cover before 10, $5 after. Check Event Horizon for special nights. Example: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6368

Friday: The Next Element at Ground Zero
10pm, 2-4-1 from 10 to 11, 18+ ($8) 21+ ($6)
Theme changes weekly, from live shows to open tables. When something really fun is planned you'll see it in Event Horizon.

Saturday: Bondage-a-go-go at Ground Zero
10pm, 18+ (I think), $8 21+ $6 (I think)
For all your bondage/fetish night needs.

Author:  cyberaktif [ Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

Awesome. Thanks to both of you for the help!

Author:  Liighter [ Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

I'm not really sure what you're looking for. But I wouldn't live anywhere else but uptown.

I'm not sure what you're looking for musically either. If you liked the stuff that Kinetic Noise crew did in chicago, then you're shit out of luck. But if you don't mind electro and trancie stuff, you'll do fine here.

Author:  drok [ Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

When you turn 30, move to NE or St Paul.

Welcome.

Nothing here is even in the same ballpark as Neo or Exit. Sorry.

Check out HM, for sure. Don't be too put off by the surliness and snootiness of the Minnesotans- just find other out-of-towners to hang with. Definitely get your 80's fix at Jager on Weds, and if you DJ, start bugging Craig right away.

Author:  cyberaktif [ Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

Liighter wrote:
I'm not really sure what you're looking for. But I wouldn't live anywhere else but uptown.

I'm not sure what you're looking for musically either. If you liked the stuff that Kinetic Noise crew did in chicago, then you're shit out of luck. But if you don't mind electro and trancie stuff, you'll do fine here.


Shit, that is exactly what I was looking for. I used to go to Kinetic religiously. And that was exactly what I was looking for.

I do like the electro and trancie stuff but I definitely prefer the industrial. Glad to hear someone else knows about Kinetic outside of Chicago.

Author:  cyberaktif [ Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

drok wrote:
When you turn 30, move to NE or St Paul.

Welcome.

Nothing here is even in the same ballpark as Neo or Exit. Sorry.

Check out HM, for sure. Don't be too put off by the surliness and snootiness of the Minnesotans- just find other out-of-towners to hang with. Definitely get your 80's fix at Jager on Weds, and if you DJ, start bugging Craig right away.


Thanks for the heads up.

Author:  Liighter [ Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

cyberaktif wrote:
Liighter wrote:
I'm not sure what you're looking for musically either. If you liked the stuff that Kinetic Noise crew did in chicago, then you're shit out of luck. But if you don't mind electro and trancie stuff, you'll do fine here.


Shit, that is exactly what I was looking for. I used to go to Kinetic religiously. And that was exactly what I was looking for.

I do like the electro and trancie stuff but I definitely prefer the industrial. Glad to hear someone else knows about Kinetic outside of Chicago.


I drive down to Chicago about once every three months, and I typically try to be there around the time of a Kinetic event. I think I've also been to almost every concert they've booked.

But as far as clubbing goes this is about the way it breaks down (check the event section for more detail):
Harder Mondays -- every 2nd monday plays some stuff you might enjoy
Chamber -- the music is a bit too random, don't hedge your bet on anything harsh; but the club has the strongest drinks in town
Bondage-a-go-go -- they play all the songs you don't want to hear ever again; but you can go upstairs and get your ass smacked

Author:  cyberaktif [ Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

Liighter wrote:
cyberaktif wrote:
Liighter wrote:
I'm not sure what you're looking for musically either. If you liked the stuff that Kinetic Noise crew did in chicago, then you're shit out of luck. But if you don't mind electro and trancie stuff, you'll do fine here.


Shit, that is exactly what I was looking for. I used to go to Kinetic religiously. And that was exactly what I was looking for.

I do like the electro and trancie stuff but I definitely prefer the industrial. Glad to hear someone else knows about Kinetic outside of Chicago.


I drive down to Chicago about once every three months, and I typically try to be there around the time of a Kinetic event. I think I've also been to almost every concert they've booked.

But as far as clubbing goes this is about the way it breaks down (check the event section for more detail):
Harder Mondays -- every 2nd monday plays some stuff you might enjoy
Chamber -- the music is a bit too random, don't hedge your bet on anything harsh; but the club has the strongest drinks in town
Bondage-a-go-go -- they play all the songs you don't want to hear ever again; but you can go upstairs and get your ass smacked


Well I figure as long as there is some sort of scene it is better than Rochester which has absolutely nothing.

And I guess my main attraction to coming here from there in the first place was at least it attracts artists like Ohgr. I got to see that show last year and it was excellent.

And thanks for the heads up on Chamber. I will probably be hitting that club first.

Author:  rskm1 [ Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

cyberaktif wrote:
And thanks for the heads up on Chamber. I will probably be hitting that club first.
It's pretty well hidden, so check out the pics in this thread before your first time out.

Next Thursday is Chamber's 1-year anniversary, so cover will be free all night and there will be dancing naked chicks covered with frosting and birthday candles. Except not that last thing, just the free cover.

Author:  seasonfire [ Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

just curious since you say you are from Fayetteville, AR and work in technology...
where did you used to work down there?

Author:  cyberaktif [ Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

seasonfire wrote:
just curious since you say you are from Fayetteville, AR and work in technology...
where did you used to work down there?


I did do a lot of consulting gigs for Wal-Mart. But I was at the University of Arkansas for about a year and a half as the Sys Admin for the Housing Department.

Do you know me?

Author:  cyberaktif [ Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

rskm1 wrote:
cyberaktif wrote:
And thanks for the heads up on Chamber. I will probably be hitting that club first.
It's pretty well hidden, so check out the pics in this thread before your first time out.

Next Thursday is Chamber's 1-year anniversary, so cover will be free all night and there will be dancing naked chicks covered with frosting and birthday candles. Except not that last thing, just the free cover.


Good to know. Thanks.

Author:  alisgray [ Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

This has quite a lot of local resources listed, you don't have to joint the meetup to read about it. http://www.meetup.com/twincities-elysiumsociety/about/

Because Chamber is generally a smaller crowd they're fairly likely to take requests.

Author:  Liighter [ Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

alisgray wrote:
This has quite a lot of local resources listed, you don't have to joint the meetup to read about it. http://www.meetup.com/twincities-elysiumsociety/about/

Because Chamber is generally a smaller crowd they're fairly likely to take requests.


And they have yet to play a single request that either Joe or I have made. But well -- that's life.

Author:  rskm1 [ Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

Liighter wrote:
And they have yet to play a single request that either Joe or I have made. But well -- that's life.
ORLY? And those requests were for what now?

Author:  seasonfire [ Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

cyberaktif wrote:
seasonfire wrote:
just curious since you say you are from Fayetteville, AR and work in technology...
where did you used to work down there?


I did do a lot of consulting gigs for Wal-Mart. But I was at the University of Arkansas for about a year and a half as the Sys Admin for the Housing Department.

Do you know me?


I work for a electronics contract manufacturer that has a sister facility down there. Should've known it was Wal-Mart...
No, I'm pretty sure I don't know you.

Author:  urbn [ Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

Good luck in the tech scene there. I left because there were just not very many tech companies around and too many people coming out of collage with degrees.

What area of tech are you in? Telecom I'm guessing?

Author:  cyberaktif [ Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

urbn wrote:
Good luck in the tech scene there. I left because there were just not very many tech companies around and too many people coming out of collage with degrees.

What area of tech are you in? Telecom I'm guessing?


Actually I am in system administration. So mostly server, application and technical support. What about you?

Author:  thosquanta [ Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

uh....there are a shit TON of tech companies in the area...weapons, medical, telecom, you name it. we even have a semiconductor fab house OUTSIDE of silicon valley...

Author:  drok [ Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

thosquanta wrote:
uh....there are a shit TON of tech companies in the area...weapons, medical, telecom, you name it. we even have a semiconductor fab house OUTSIDE of silicon valley...


hence the nickname "silicon prairie"

Author:  thosquanta [ Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

...can't say i've ever heard "silicon prairie."

is our mascot a <100> prairie dog?


ahhh, crystal humor...

Author:  cyberaktif [ Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

There do seem to be quite a bit of options here and I don't think it will be long till I am employed. I swear I apply to at least three job openings a day. Much better than Rochester, that's for sure.

Author:  DaveS [ Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

I'm new too. Do people usually start a new thread for this or post on existing ones?

Author:  DaveS [ Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

A comment to previous posts, I just moved (sort of, long story) from Urbana, Illinois, and clubbed a few times in Chicago, including Neo and Exit, which I didn't think were that great. But I guess it might have been different if I lived in the city.

So far I've only checked out Bondage-a-go-go, which seemed pretty cool, and I'm going to try Chamber tonight.

Author:  Liighter [ Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

DaveS wrote:
A comment to previous posts, I just moved (sort of, long story) from Urbana, Illinois, and clubbed a few times in Chicago, including Neo and Exit, which I didn't think were that great. But I guess it might have been different if I lived in the city.

So far I've only checked out Bondage-a-go-go, which seemed pretty cool, and I'm going to try Chamber tonight.


Most people start new threads, but it doesn't really matter.

You have to be very particular about on which nights you go out on in Chicago, it's fairly specific. Neo is a crap-shoot on most days.

I don't know what you're looking for in a club, it all depends on that. If you're looking to people watch, Ground Zero is a great place to go. But typically, the music is irritating as hell (I find listening to goth/alt top 40s, much more annoying then just regular top 40s). Last Saturday, was a strange exception (different djs), and there was some good stuff played.

Author:  rskm1 [ Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

DaveS wrote:
So far I've only checked out Bondage-a-go-go, which seemed pretty cool, and I'm going to try Chamber tonight.
/waves@daves

Nicetameetcha! Some other links, since you're into the trance too:

http://envympls.com/home.html (mostly Top40 hip-hop crap, but occasionally the back room will have a Russian or Ibiza-theme trance night w/ DJs Alik, Tranceaddict, & Ian Russ)

http://epicmpls.com/ (oops, Ferry Corsten was last week. But next month Armin van Buuren is on 10/8[Thu], and Tiesto is 10/30[Fri])

Author:  DaveS [ Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

Liighter wrote:

Most people start new threads, but it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, but it just seemed too narcissitic. :-?

You have to be very particular about on which nights you go out on in Chicago, it's fairly specific. Neo is a crap-shoot on most days.

Yeah, well I only made it on Saturadays. 2 1/2 hour drive on a school night doesn't work.

I don't know what you're looking for in a club, it all depends on that. If you're looking to people watch, Ground Zero is a great place to go. But typically, the music is irritating as hell (I find listening to goth/alt top 40s, much more annoying then just regular top 40s). Last Saturday, was a strange exception (different djs), and there was some good stuff played.

I guess I got lucky then. Although I can't say I agree with you about regular top 40s being better than goth top 40s.

Author:  DaveS [ Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

rskm1 wrote:
DaveS wrote:
So far I've only checked out Bondage-a-go-go, which seemed pretty cool, and I'm going to try Chamber tonight.
/waves@daves

Nicetameetcha! Some other links, since you're into the trance too:

http://envympls.com/home.html (mostly Top40 hip-hop crap, but occasionally the back room will have a Russian or Ibiza-theme trance night w/ DJs Alik, Tranceaddict, & Ian Russ)

http://epicmpls.com/ (oops, Ferry Corsten was last week. But next month Armin van Buuren is on 10/8[Thu], and Tiesto is 10/30[Fri])


Cool. Thanks.

Author:  Ether [ Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Just moved to Minneapolis

Welcome to Minnesota. I'm certain you'll enjoy it here.

Be sure to check out our local original music. There is a LOT of it here and a tremendous amount of talent to be found.

~€ther~

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/