View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ] 
 [3rd Thu] Perish: Goth Night at Kitty Cat Klub (21+) 

Post [3rd Thu] Perish: Goth Night at Kitty Cat Klub (21+)
Perish is a new monthly night of dark music at the Kitty Cat Klub in Minneapolis. They will be featuring a rotating mix of two bands and DJs playing music all night long featuring: Post-Punk, New Wave, Death Rock, No Wave, Minimal Synth, Synthpop, Cold Wave, Industrial and Experimental.

Every Third Thursday of the Month, starting Sept 23rd 2010.

Perish 01 featuring:
The Funeral and the Twilight
The Great Confinement

Kitty Cat Klub
315 14th Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN

10pm - 2am
Absolutely free.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:43 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: 9/23 (Thur) Perish: Goth Night at Kitty Cat Klub (21+)
This sounds like fun!

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:34 pm

Obviously we are all interested in the idea. But why was this once-a-month night instituted? We have nights that play such music every Monday and every Thursday as well as many Fridays and Saturdays as well. What was the impetus of your decision to put up a night of your own featuring such music? Were there many requests from your regular clientele? Is it just something different you've been wanting to break into?

Just curious. I love the idea of alternate locations for this sort of thing as there's a chance of opening up more people to it all, potentially helping out the other nights.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Cool idea with bands and DJ's.

Might I suggest that you do it on the 4th Thursday of the month - that way you won't be going up against Chamber (they move to Fridays on the 4 Friday of the month)

Playlists

Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:23 pm
Profile WWW

You can suggest, but it doesn't mean they're going to change it. The competition will either make one of the nights better and more entertaining or they'll both just rest on their laurels until at least one of them fades away.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Post Re: 9/23[Thu] Perish: Goth Night at Kitty Cat Klub (21+)
Ossuary wrote:
Every Third Thursday of the Month, starting Sept 23rd 2010.
Well the good news is, Sept 23rd is the 4th Thursday, not the 3rd Thursday, so at least the debut doesn't conflict with Chamber. Might have to check it out...

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:31 pm

First off, I suppose I should clarify that I am not one of the organizers of this night. Members of The Funeral and the Twilight and CLAPS decided to start Perish as an alternative to the goth nights that exist currently. Lately, there has been an increase in local 'dark' bands that frequently play the KCK, bringing with them an array of fans and friends that want to hear music more akin to their own taste. While the other goth nights active right now do play a large mix of genres, a lot of it is watered down with EBM. Hopefully, this will become an outlet for something a bit more diversified (while providing an inviting, atmospheric environment).

I thought the same thing that most of you probably did upon hearing that it will be on Thursdays - How will it compete with Chamber, and what kind of effect is it going to have on both of the nights? I'm pretty sure the decision was based off of what KCK had open (I know they do a lot of themed dance nights on Fridays)... so we'll have to see if it lasts, and if the actual weeknight will change at all. To be honest, most of the people that will be at Perish aren't really the club-going crowd... so I don't expect Chamber to be losing any business.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:56 pm
Profile WWW

Claps play some solid tunes.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Thanks for posting the event here, Ossuary. It's nice to feel invited. I think if we can get the folks who are planning Perish in conversation with the folks who have been running Chamber, things will work themselves out. I'd be sad to have to miss one or the other!

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am
Profile WWW

This would be great if the Disc Jockeys refrained from playing Dance Party music and had a truly Goth evening, with decent live bands
and no disco-dancy crap music.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:39 am

dance music is the main reason why I never pay attention to the music being played
Thankfully, when i DJ at the Saloon, they don't make me play dance music

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:18 am
Profile WWW

zom-zom wrote:
This would be great if the Disc Jockeys refrained from playing Dance Party music and had a truly Goth evening, with decent live bands
and no disco-dancy crap music.

I'm not sure who they have lined up to spin on the 23rd, but the point of the night is to be able to play non-danceable tunes as well, in a relaxed bar setting as opposed to a club one. The bands that are set to perform that night don't fit into that category, either. Hm.

I will be DJing the October 21st night and can whole-heartedly promise a macabre and morose mix of old school goth/deathrock/industrial tunes. One of my biggest qualms with the local goth nights is the lack of music I actually LIKE being played, so it'll be nice to be able to get my hands on the reins. :) We'll have to see how the opening night goes.

Oh, and as for the conflict with Chamber - If Perish does well enough (according to KCK management), it will be moved from the 3rd Thursday to the 3rd Friday of the month... so here's hoping everything works itself out!

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:20 pm
Profile WWW

Personally, my curiosity has been piqued. Judging by your description of the night's aims and goals this sounds like exactly the sort of thing for which I've been waiting. And the location may actually bring in a larger and more diverse crowd than what we find at Zero/HM/Chamber.

In the other venues' defense I guess I would say that the music they play comes largely from requests and "what fills the floor." Hopefully the DJs on this new night will shun requests in favor of...well, a more interesting night of music.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Super. it'd be lovely to see you out, Devil. It'd be a minor miracle if you showed regularly though.

At least a hundred people showed on The Chamber's opening night two years ago. Enough have been continuing to dhow since then for it to keep going. But most dabblers tried once, probably ran into an ex and nver came out again. Good luck.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:58 am
Profile WWW

Well, once you've had kids it gets pretty difficult to do anything regularly. Having to get up early for work (after working late the night before) doesn't help either. So frivolous club nights aren't really my thing anymore, and not necessarily by choice. But I can appreciate what's being done here and hope to experience it as much as I possibly can.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:35 pm

Hmmm...this sounds cool. I like the Kitty Cat Klub. I'll check it out after listening to the Dark Horizons live webcast :) Perfect timeing.....DHRadio goes until 10 and Dinkiytown is convenient for me so I can head over after. Now if only my work schedule quites down and cooperates....

11/12 Clan of Xymox, The Bellwether Syndicate, Autumn and DJ Paul Robb

Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:43 am
Profile WWW

devil wrote:
Well, once you've had kids it gets pretty difficult to do anything regularly. Having to get up early for work (after working late the night before) doesn't help either. So frivolous club nights aren't really my thing anymore, and not necessarily by choice. But I can appreciate what's being done here and hope to experience it as much as I possibly can.

No doubt you are right.

PS: I strongly recommend that Perish come up with some kind of visual e-flyer. It's not on the splash-page calendar here if you do have one.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:44 pm
Profile WWW

alisgray wrote:
PS: I strongly recommend that Perish come up with some kind of visual e-flyer. It's not on the splash-page calendar here if you do have one.

We can't find one. I got in touch with the organizers so ill prod them a bit. They seem like they're serious about making it work.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:59 pm

Post Re: [3rd Thu] Perish: Goth Night at Kitty Cat Klub (21+)
How did this go?

Playlists

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:00 pm
Profile WWW

oops
Got so distracted that I forgot to go to this
Yeah, how did it go?

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:53 pm
Profile WWW

..... That good eh?

Playlists

Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:47 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, the ten people who frequent the message board didn't show up. But it's likely the 100 or so people who haven't heard of this message board or just don't care were there.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:09 am

devil wrote:
Yeah, the ten people who frequent the message board didn't show up. But it's likely the 100 or so people who haven't heard of this message board or just don't care were there.

That would be really cool if it is the case.

I was hoping the promoter person would reply

Playlists

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:06 am
Profile WWW

it was okay, but I don't think it drew 100 people. there were a couple of fairly vigorous bands; the first involved pseudo Victorian underwear, silk flowers, clarinets and shrieking. the second was more traditional rock. dance floor there still sucks.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:52 am
Profile WWW

Crowd size peaked at a couple dozen. Only about 5 people I recognized. The bands were... hard to describe, so I'll defer to Alis' description. The DJs spun some good obscure darkwave stuff (some Bowie and Numan and Cure, and lots that I'd never heard of). But it's more of a hang out / drink / socialize event, not much of a dance night.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:52 am

Thanks for the update guys, sounds interesting. I'm glad to see the scene get some different types of options.

Playlists

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:42 pm
Profile WWW

rskm1 wrote:
But it's more of a hang out / drink / socialize event, not much of a dance night.

Actually, that sounds damn near perfect. Is the music so loud you have to shout like you do at all the other nights? I would actually welcome a night with great music where I can actually socialize without destroying my voice.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:51 pm

i was gonna say, with devil and zom bitching about rubber disco music, this sounds more up the old folks' alley.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:23 am
Profile YIM WWW

Well, it's still plenty loud in the "stage" area while live bands are playing, but if you've never been to the Kitty Cat Klub, there's a whole huge back-room area full of circled couches and old chairs*, where the music volume is reduced to background-noise levels.

I didn't look closely, but there might even be some rocking chairs back there for the ol' fogies... :lol:

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:54 am

Yeah, and there are even toilets for you poopy-pants kids to sit on and poop.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Not enough of them, actually.

The KCK is a fine venue for this sort of thing. If you're all about not dancing, and/or really prefer the live music, I encourage you to give this night a shot. Otherwise I'll see you at the Chamber I hope.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:19 am
Profile WWW

Tomorrow night we will be spinning a great mix of post punk/deathrock/old school goth! Come on out if you get the chance.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:56 pm
Profile WWW

actually, this does sound good. i like the dancey stuff but i get tired of it because i don't much care to dance.
of course i never go to any of the nights held anyway, mainly because i don't feel like having to lean over and scream in people's ears. something like this might actually get me out to socialize some.
and to those i haven't met, i'm not even an old fogey, though i might sound like one.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:12 am

The Quaking Bogge will be performing at one of these in the next few months.

I'm very much looking forward to it.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:53 am

ooh, double excuse for me to check it out.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:11 am
Profile YIM WWW

safewords was cool but Zombie season was terrible

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 pm
Profile WWW

Rockula! wrote:
safewords was cool but Zombie season was terrible

My friend Jeremy plays drums for Safewords.. he thought I would like them. I need to check them out.

What I've seen/heard of Zombie Season certainly didn't sound or look "dark" to me at all.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:57 pm

Zombie Season has dealt with some pretty intense lineup changes recently... they are still adjusting to their new skin. When I heard them a couple of years ago they had a post-punk/new wave type vibe. Not sure where they are headed now... But I definitely agree - Safewords were excellent! People seemed to really dig their set.

Also, very excited for Quaking Bogge in the future! & to seasonfire: I'm also 'young' when it comes to the goff scene, but I tend to listen to older music and shy away from the dancey club setting. The Kitty Cat Klub is definitely more up my alley.

Next one coming up this Thursday:

Last edited by Ossuary on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:39 pm
Profile WWW

claps are excellent. if you don't see thosquanta, see this!

Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:11 am
Profile YIM WWW

ossuary: this weekend's kind of filling up already - may not be able to make it on Thursday. i will be sure to at some point though.

zom-zom: if Quaking Bogge is going to play someplace, i'll do my best to be there. i really liked the few songs you did at Heliotrope and would like to see an extended set.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:15 am

Hmmm...I may need to stop by tomorrow to check out Perish.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:22 pm
Profile WWW

looks like as|of will be at perish next thursday, 4/26, in case you missed us monday!

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW

thosquanta wrote:
looks like as|of will be at perish next thursday, 4/26, in case you missed us monday!

Holy crap, I had no idea this was still going, the last post before yours was from Nov 2010.

Who goes to this night and what's it like?

Playlists

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:54 pm
Profile WWW

apparently i will let you know. mutt got the show for us, i know he is friends with claps, so it sounds like a different crowd than, say, chamber.

i shall view it as an anthropological study opportunity. if nothing else, should be fun to watch eric panic on stage when the crowd reaction is decidedly more hipster/standoffish.

kind of like playing hell's kitchen...

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I don't recall any panicking at hell's kitchen.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:38 pm

It's more subdued than the other "goth" nights in the area - definitely focused on ambience as opposed to being a dance night. The DJs rotate monthly so there is always something new to hear (no EBM/no dubstep remixes/etc thank goodness). The sets tend to be on the more experimental side of things, since there isn't any pressure to pack a dance floor. I've very rarely seen any of the clientele from Zero, Hard Mondays or Chamber around... but it really depends on what bands are playing.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:24 pm
Profile WWW

Last time I was there I stumped the bartender by ordering a Harvey Wallbanger. Seriously, dude had to look it up in the book. I only ordered it because I wanted to say, "Harvey Wallbanger" out loud with authority, but I felt a little sad when he didn't know such a classic cocktail. True story.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:12 pm

great. now i am going to try to make both eric AND the poor bartender panic.

you bring out the worst in me, skywayman!

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW

It's the only truly Goth night in town. Not just another disco-dancing night of shitty electro-dance crap.

Wonderful crowd and atmosphere. Erik the DJ for this night is my bandmate and great friend, he has an amazing knowledge of Goth rock and proper Goth music, fashion and aesthetics.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:10 am

Oh hell yes. When I'm around, I'm going to this.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:33 pm
Profile YIM

Very interesting. My first time hearing about this as well (aside from seeing the flyer for As|Of's last performance there).

Might be a little off topic, but what has one gotta do to book a show at the KCK? Our artists have performed there in the past (to good sized crowds) and we've offered them two fully booked, sponsored shows as of late. Absolutely no response to multiple inquiries. Not even a "no thanks".

In comparison, we've set up two fantastic events at The Entry and The Fineline respectively. Huh. Seems like a place that's pulling only a few dozen people a night could use something (I'm aware that first Perish was a few years back now). Jus' sayin'.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:02 pm
Profile WWW

Dig the original flyer theme above.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:03 pm
Profile WWW

yeah, i guess i always had other people book me there, so even tho i've played KKC quite a number of times, i have no idea who does booking.

Tue May 01, 2012 10:22 am
Profile YIM WWW

I got a first response right away from the booking contact on their website, but maybe I just caught him at the right moment. I've been told it's all about persistence and the right timing when booking shows. This is why I could never try to book shows constantly. I'd go insane. Kudos to those of you who *do* make the effort.

Tue May 01, 2012 9:24 pm
Profile WWW

Bah. It's about people that can handle booking and conduct themselves in a professional manner. Agreed. Cheers to those folks.

Wed May 02, 2012 3:11 pm
Profile WWW

Apologies for my venting! This does sound like a cool night.

Wed May 02, 2012 3:18 pm
Profile WWW

Is it alright to disturb the cobwebs on my dtc account to bump the thread?

Another installment of Perish tonight with The New Void (Cincinnati) and The Funeral & The Twilight (Mpls).
Some joker spinning vinyl who is probably gonna try to keep the mood bleak, unless The Bubblemen show up.

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/287761648035484/

10pm KCK - free
You can be sedentary in here.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:37 pm
Profile WWW

muckgeist wrote:
Is it alright to disturb the cobwebs on my dtc account to bump the thread?
Please do! Otherwise I wonder if this event is still going on...

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:06 pm

yeah, i didnt even know this was going on anymore either... you should start a facebook for this night so i can keep up easier! :)

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]