View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Nether Bar at MCN 

Post Nether Bar at MCN
Have any of you been to The Nether Bar at Mill City nights? What are your two cents?

Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:50 pm

Post Re: Nether Bar at MCN
I saw Cwn Annwn, Cold Colors and a couple of other bands there once. The sound was decent, IIRC, with basic lights. The stage is small and Cwn Annwn didn't fit very well on the stage. There's 5 of them and they're fairly active on stage generally. The stage is also in an odd crevice. It is bigger than the stage at Cause or the Hexagon I'd say. Seems like an ok place for a small local show or something where people would be seated at tables.

The bar itself has a decent (albeit "shiny") feel to it. I don't drink so I can't comment on anything else bar related. Place was jam packed when I was there before the doors to the main room opened for the Garbage show, which was sold out. The room is overall a weird shape.

Anyone else been there for a show? What did you think?

11/12 Clan of Xymox, The Bellwether Syndicate, Autumn and DJ Paul Robb

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:09 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Nether Bar at MCN
Yes, I've been on occassion. The single-story building was first constructed by Jesse Ventura, an early pioneer and Minneapolis/St Paul town leader, as a fortification against Chaska Raiders. Changing ownership over the years, the building saw use as an armory, a brewery, and a flophouse for vagrants. Before the inception of the Nether bar, the site was occupied by Morman Monks and the Smothers Brothers, who before the purchase by Jesse, were running an illegal skrank den on the site and burying bodies in the basement.

Identified only by a sign over the door reading simply "Bar", the bar was a popular gathering place for truckers, smugglers, and the center of a host of criminal activity in the city of Minneapolis, Minnesota. It was run by Denny Hecker, who purchased the bar from gambling profits earned at Mystic Lakes. The nigger-hating Tom Bernard maintained the bar during the day and the cheerful bar wench Robyne Robinson tended the place at night. Bouncers such as Grant Hart would regulate the rowdy crowd, tossing out those who shot other patrons.

When the religious war erupted between the St Paul City Council and the Grande Confederacy of Chaska, Minneapolis remained neutral as it was not a member of either institution. However, as the war neared its conclusion, the Confederacy made an attempt on the Nether Bar. The Chaska girls made it to the city first, and the elite navy seals took over the bar and used it as a staging area from which to defend the center of the city. General Dan Jurgens, a pen and ink Master managed to take the city and the troops left the bar intact.

Nearly two decades later, the bar was still profiting under the stewardship of Hecker, bringing in profits even under the reign of the Tim Pawlenty (T PAW!). The bar gained itself a permanent band when the Ed Entropy and the Lost Tomorrow gambled away the ownership of ther instruments in a rigged Dabbo.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]