View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Death on Display: Custom Coffins - Fabulous Funeral Shrouds 

Post Death on Display: Custom Coffins - Fabulous Funeral Shrouds
Boxed: Fabulous Coffins from UK and Ghana

Picture: Paa Joe workshop

When you think about coffins - if, indeed, you think about them at all - you probably picture a polished mahogany casket lined with purple satin. But a free exhibition at the Southbank Centre in London shows that death needn't be depressing. 'Boxed: Fabulous Coffins from UK and Ghana' collects bizarre bespoke coffins from the famous Paa Joe workshop in Ghana - such as this pineapple-shaped casket - and Crazy Coffins in Nottingham.

[Editorial Note: Cremation = irrelevant. Reviewal, i.e., an open casket viewing of the corpse = relevant.

Optimal Solution: If your corpse is presentable for viewing, and you're inclined to display it, rent a locally-available designer coffin for reviewal/funeral-ceremony purposes (you must buy the liner). Also, be sure to get one of Pia Interlandi's custom-designed funeral shrouds (sorry, also nonrefundable), and go out with sass and panache!

Image Image

After the show is over, your next-of-kin can either torch your sorry dead ass (recommended if the thought of parting with your remains is too angst-producing to bear), or they can bury it the cheapest way legally possible (i.e., goodbye and good riddance). Remember, in order to avoid embalming expenses, there is a statutory time limit within which to properly dispose of your remains (careful pre-event planning is essential).

Nature Lovers: Be sure to consult with local statutory authority about whether or not your (nonembalmed) carcass can be rendered into carrion feed for scavengers, or into plant fertilizer/mulch.]

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Post Re: Death on Display: Custom Coffins - Fabulous Funeral Shro
buried in a pineapple or nokia phone decoration?? This is ridiculous!!? lol, no thanks... Ill take the pine box.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:03 pm

I kind of partial to the iron maiden box myself!

Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:54 pm

It's all about whatever flips your lid, right (pun intended)? Hey, it's your funeral/bon voyage party; have it your way. Some people will never feel comfortable thinking "outside of the box" (because they're either inhibited about deviating from the traditional ritual, or, they're (not so) secretly afraid of ridicule). But it doesn't hurt to investigate the options in your local market. Look at it as being the fun, creative part of end-of-life planning. What the hell, design your own reviewal/funeral display; and, if you have the carpentry skills, tools, materials, time, construction space and storage space, build it yourself (just be sure to make final assembly easy, and leave detailed instructions with someone you trust to carry out your final wishes). (Achtung! If you want to be buried or entombed in a mausoleum, be sure to check the casket specifications in local statutes/ordinances, otherwise you may have to pay extra for a sealed vault.)

Happy dying!

Last edited by Cranky-'n-Crusty on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks for sharing these, first of all. They are neat-o, and I bet it is really fun to design them.

Personally I could care less what happens to this mortal flesh suit when I'm done with it. It's just a shell and no longer matters, so they can light it on fire or toss it into the ocean or fly it into the sun for all I care. Or just let it decompose. Whatever.

~€ᵀᴴᴲᴿ~

commercial graphic artist, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist

BACK ALLEY: https://www.facebook.com/backalleysocial
CRUSH COLLECTIVE: http://www.facebook.com/crushmydesign

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:36 pm
Profile WWW

Ether wrote:
Personally I could care less what happens to this mortal flesh suit when I'm done with it.

I didn't intend for this post to be entirely frivolous, and I'm glad you're looking at it beyond the purely aesthetic considerations. Hopefully, we can stimulate an exchange of ideas about our final departing gestures by thinking about them in a different, less morbid, way. Your statement (quoted above) prompts me to pose a philosophical question: What additional good can we do for the living after we've departed?

Once we've donated our useful organs, and our friends and loved ones have had an opportunity for a final, parting farewell (presuming they want it), besides donating our bodies to science, shouldn't we do the most socially and environmentally responsible thing that we can do with our otherwise useless, deceased remains?

Example: If my carcass could be cost-effectively recycled into some form of organic fertilizer, i.e., to be used as an alternative to the harsh chemicals that eventually render the earth non-arable without them -- especially in a time of population explosion and dwindling arable land space -- doesn't that make more sense than indulging our mawkishly sentimental, and silly, superstition-laden rituals?

Secondly, can we really afford such indulgences anymore? Anyway, food for thought. :-?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:56 pm
For free?

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:52 am

see Ether?
You just encouraged him to get all wordy
Thanks a lot

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]